Nourish your CenterAug 19, 2021
“What is well planted cannot be uprooted.
What is well embraced cannot slip away“
- Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching chapter 54
As we head into late summer in the northern hemisphere, we focus on strengthening the Earth element.
A balanced Earth element manifests as clear thinking, the ability to concentrate and know how to support others without forgetting the Self.
Not knowing how to nourish the middle is the cause of inner stress, neediness and burnout, among other symptoms.
The meridian systems belonging to the Earth element are the Spleen and Stomach; these are vital for overall health and well-being. Therefore it is the season to focus on the digestive system, nourishment and centring ourselves.
One way to build a strong immune system for the colder seasons ahead is by intentionally eating to strengthen the Earth element.
Nutrition tips for Earth:
- focus on cooked/warm food, avoid cold foods such as ice creams, cold drinks and too many raw salads
- Use warm aromatic Spices and Oils (ginger, cardamom, cinnamon)
- Add sweet vegetables, fruits and grains, such as carrots, sweet potatoes, corn cobs, millet and brown rice, to your diet
- Eat what is in season where you live
- start your day with a warm breakfast; 7-9 am is the time of maximum Qi in the Stomach, so it is important to eat a nourishing meal at that time to optimize digestion and absorption. Click here for my Overnight Oats recipe
- massage the Spleen and Stomach meridians. I'll teach more about that in the upcoming Acupressure Masterclass (details coming soon!).
Take care of yourself,